What our volunteers do:
Our volunteers work with students during class under the direction of a professional teacher. Volunteers may lead groups or work one-on-one with students, depending on the needs of the teacher.
When our volunteers come
- Usually from ninety minutes to two hours per week for an 8-10 week quarter
- Mornings between 9:00 A.M. and 12:00 P.M., or evenings between 6:00 P.M. and 9:00 P.M.
Our volunteer coordinator, Hannah, works with each person to find an assignment that fits the volunteer’s schedule.
Who can volunteer
We welcome anyone aged 18 years old and up. We have college students, stay-at-home moms, retired teachers/doctors/professionals, and everyone in between!
How to volunteer
- Fill out the online application, or print the application and bring it to the center in person.
- Watch your email (check the spam folder!) for a message from the volunteer coordinator. It can take up to a week, but usually less.
- Schedule a brief orientation.
- Come to class and meet some wonderful people!
“…following an informative orientation, we worked out a schedule where many options were presented so that I was able to come at times that worked well for me. My students were from Ethiopia, Thailand, Mexico, Taiwan, and El Salvador. The staff created a warm, friendly, safe environment for the volunteers and students, and have also created a very impressive program. I plan to volunteer again!”
“It wasn’t so much a volunteer experience on my part as it was a thoroughly enjoyable time spent getting to know and converse with some interesting and lovely people. I’m sure I learned as much from them as they learned from me. I look forward to volunteering as the staff are friendly and helpful and the students amazing. How lucky I am.”