What our volunteers say:
…following an informative orientation, we worked out a schedule where many options were presented so that I was able to come at times that worked well for me. My students were from Ethiopia, Thailand, Mexico, Taiwan, and El Salvador. The staff created a warm, friendly, safe environment for the volunteers and students, and have also created a very impressive program. I plan to volunteer again!
It wasn’t so much a volunteer experience on my part as it was a thoroughly enjoyable time spent getting to know and converse with some interesting and lovely people. I’m sure I learned as much from them as they learned from me. I look forward to volunteering as the staff are friendly and helpful and the students amazing. How lucky I am.
What our volunteers do:
Our volunteers work with students during class under the direction of a professional teacher. Volunteers may lead groups or work one-on-one with students, depending on the needs of the teacher.
When our volunteers come:
Our volunteer coordinator works with each person to find an assignment that fits the volunteer’s schedule. Generally hours are as described below:
- Morning between 9 A.M. and 12 P.M. or evenings between 6 P.M. and 9 P.M.
- From 90 minutes to 2 hours per week, for an 8-10 week quarter
Who can volunteer?
We welcome anyone aged 18 years old and up. We have college students, stay-at-home moms, retired teachers/doctors/professionals, and everyone in between!
How to volunteer:
- Fill out the online application, or print the application and bring it to the center in person.
- Watch your email (Check the Spam folder!) for a message from the volunteer coordinator. It may take up to a week before you're contacted.
- Schedule a brief orientation
- Come to class and meet some wonderful students!